Advertisement

Six English Idioms - Moving on the Chest and Head and feet here

Six English Idioms - Moving on the Chest and Head and feet here - Times Falcon
Six English Idioms - Moving on the Chest and Head and feet here - Times Falcon



Number one, eyes or heart.


To cry your eyes out or to cry your heart out. I would say in British English to cry your eyes out is more commonly used. I wonder in American English, if any speakers of American English are watching, please let me know in the comments section. This means to cry a lot. Just crying your eyes out, she was crying so much. An example, she cried her eyes out when she lost her cat.


Number two, moving on to the chest.


To get something off your chest. This means to tell someone what's been on your mind or to tell someone one of your problems. It's a heavy load on your chest and you get it off. For example, I need to get it off my chest and tell my boss that I am unhappy.


Number three, hands.


To give a hand or to lend a hand. This means to help. And I would say lend is possibly more common in British English. Can you give me a hand? Can you lend me a hand? Give me, or lend me, lend me. Can you lend me a hand? An example, if you need any help with moving, can lend a hand.



Number four, head.


To have one's head in the clouds. This means to be unaware or unrealistic about something,

to be naive. An example, he has his head in the clouds, if he thinks he's getting a pay rise in this economy.



Number five, head and feet here.


We have head over heels. Head over heels. To fall head over heels in love with somebody. Head over heels means deeply or completely in love. An example, she is head over heels with her new puppy. She's completely in love with her new puppy.



Number six, head again, in over one's head.


To be in over one's head. This means that you're taking on a task that you can't handle. An example, I am completely in over my head in my new teaching position.

Post a Comment

0 Comments