![]() |
| Seven English Idioms - To keep one's chin up and to let one's hair down - Times Falcon |
Number one is eyes.
To keep an eye on. To keep an eye on something or someone. This means to watch or monitor normally in a protective way. To keep something safe. An example, can you keep an eye on my bike whilst I nip into the post office? To nip somewhere, is to go somewhere very briefly. To nip into, to go into very briefly. I'm just going to nip to the shops. I'm just going to very quickly go to the shops.
Number two, chin.
To keep one's chin up. To keep one's chin up. This means to try to be cheerful or to try to avoid being sad. For example, keep your chin up, exam season will be over soon.
Number three, is to learn or to know off by heart.
You don't always have to include the off, That's quite common in British English. To learn by heart, to know off by heart. This means to memorise. For example, I know the Harry Potter books by heart, all seven of them.
Number four, we're onto hair.
This is to let one's hair down. To let one's hair down. Which means to relax or to have fun. Let your hair down, relax, have fun and enjoy yourself. This is usually said to somebody who's a little more serious. For example, she needs to let her hair down. She is always so stressed.
Number five, lips.
My lips are sealed. My lips are sealed and this means your secret is safe with me. An example, my lips are sealed, I have no idea how much your dress cost.
Number six, blood.
I don't know where to point all over my body hopefully. It makes my blood boil. If something makes your blood boil, it makes you really really angry. An example, the way that they have underpaid you and mistreated you over all these years makes my blood boil.
Number seven, the body as a whole.
Over my dead body. Over my dead body. This is something that said, when you want to say, you cannot do that until I am dead, and then I can't stop you. An example, over my dead body,
I will never let you drive my car. You'll have to wait till I die before you can drive my car.


0 Comments