Advertisement

English Idioms Related to the Human Body

In this article, we are going to discuss idioms related to the human body and there are a lot of them.

English Idioms Related to the Human Body - Times Falcon
English Idioms Related to the Human Body - Times Falcon


Today we are going to talk about FIVE of the most commonly used idioms relating to the human body. Right, let's get started with the lesson. Right we're going to go through these in alphabetical order.


Number one, is all ears.


All ears, and I hope you can see and appreciate my toast, my buttered toast earrings today. I just thought they weren't quite well. If you are all ears, then it means you are fully listening. Let me finish hanging out the washing and then I'll be all ears. I'll be fully listening to you. It's a nice way of saying I can't concentrate right now because I'm busy, but in a second, I'll be fully listening. I'll be all ears.


Number two, break a leg.


you might know this one, this is normally one of the first idioms that people learn apart from it's raining cats and dogs, which we never say. It is, break a leg. Break a leg, and this means good luck. It's most commonly used for actors or musicians that are going to perform onstage. An example, I forgot you're on stage tonight, break a leg.


Number three, moving on to teeth. 


This one is by the skin of one's teeth. And this means only just or barely the skin or the enamel on your teeth is so thin, you only just did something. This example is true. I passed my driving test by the skin of my teeth. I really did one more mistake and I wouldn't have passed. This is an interesting, actually fun fact. I turned up to my driving test four times, but I only failed twice. Because one time I turned up and I hadn't clicked confirm when booking in my test. So I was all nervous waiting there, turns out I didn't have a test that day, I had to wait another month.



Number four moving down to feet.


Cold feet, to have cold feet. If you get cold feet or you have cold feet, it means you suddenly feel nervous about something. Something usually important that you plan to do. And it's often used before weddings. If somebody suddenly thinks, ah, is this actually what I want? It means they're getting cold feet, they're suddenly doubting whether they want to do something or not. They're getting nervous. An example, I hope he doesn't get cold feet before the wedding.



 Number five, moving on to arms,


but still involving the legs. To cost an arm and a leg. If something costs an arm and a leg, then it is very expensive. An example, I bet that coat cost her an arm and a leg. I bet that coat was so expensive.

Post a Comment

0 Comments